All parents need support as they journey in this beautiful and challenging vocation as their child's primary Christian educator. These programs and short videos offer parents insights and tools within a positive parenting framework. If you have question or need further support, please contact Mary Sue Reutebuch at: [email protected]
2021-22 Parent Ministry Book Study
Are you looking for more tools to add to your parenting tool box? Whether addressing a young child or teenager, learning new ways to communicate with both consistency and compassion is key! Positive Discipline for children and teens is a tool to use to address struggles with everything from bedtime routines, curfews, sibling rivalry, managing different personalities of children and two household families, among many other parenting challenges.
Our teens are beginning to make decisions about things that that have real consequences, like school and friends and driving, substance use and sex. Not only are these pressures very real, it is also often difficult for teens to regulate emotions. That is why they are often at risk in making impulsive decisions. While they’re an open book to their friends, who they talk to constantly via text messages and social media, they might not be as responsive to parents. This means that having a healthy and trusting parent-child relationship during the teenage years is more important than ever.
Jane Nelsen gives the following criteria for effective communication:
- Is Kind and Firm at the same time. (Respectful and encouraging)
- Helps teens feel a sense of Belonging and Significance. (Connection)
- Is Effective Long-Term. (Punishment works short term, but has negative long-term results.)
- Teaches valuable Social and Life Skills for good character. (Respect, concern for others, problem-solving, accountability, contribution, cooperation)
- Invites children to discover how Capable they are and to use their personal power in constructive ways.
Click here for dates and further information
To register email [email protected]g
Parent Ministry Video Series
Recent "PARENT MINISTRY" Editions
Click on a topic to view or click on our complete collection.